Wondering When You Power a Motor of Picaxe the Diagram Says You Have to Use a Transistor?

This is the space to ask all your burning tech questions and discuss the Skills Bright Sparks competition. We are here to help!
ZebH

Wondering When You Power a Motor of Picaxe the Diagram Says You Have to Use a Transistor?

Post by ZebH » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering when you power a motor of Picaxe that the diagram says you have to use a transistor? What does the transistor do? Could you wire it up without it?

Any help would be wonderful as I am stuck!

Thanks very much!
Last edited by ZebH on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Zeb

Liam

Re: Wondering When You Power a Motor of Picaxe the Diagram Says You Have to Use a Transistor?

Post by Liam » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:02 pm

You will have to use a transistor. A transistor is an amplifier. This means with the little amount of current from the PICAXE gets amplified by the transistor. This is called the Transistor Gain or Hfe. Don't ask me what it stands for!
A transistor of a Hfe of 10, means that 10mA into the Base Pin allows 100mA to flow between the Collector Pin and the Emitter Pin. The Transistor also requires the correct volt drop across the Base Emitter for NPN or Base Collector junction for PNP.
There's actually quite a bit to go through when it comes to transistors :)
Andrew has a lot of resources on them.
Liam
Liam Beale
(Moderator)
www.phoenix-tech.co.nz

ZebH

Re: Wondering When You Power a Motor of Picaxe the Diagram Says You Have to Use a Transistor?

Post by ZebH » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 am

OK thanks very much Mr. Liam!
~ Zeb

timchpi

Post by timchpi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm

@ZebH, @Liam
I would recommend MOSFET Bahahahaha

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:44 am

MOSFET's are good as switches but i'd stick to a transistor for simplicity :)
Liam Beale
(Moderator)
www.phoenix-tech.co.nz

HenryIdomo

Wondering When You Power a Motor of Picaxe the Diagram Says You Have to Use a Transistor

Post by HenryIdomo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:46 pm

"What does Alfonso Soriano have in common with Jose Cnseco, Barry Bnds, and Alex Rdriguez?