Anyone want to talk about L1, 2 and 3 Electronics projects?

SClark

Anyone want to talk about L1, 2 and 3 Electronics projects?

Post by SClark » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi.
Anyone fancy talking about the current electronics AS for years 11 - 13?
Thanks

Liam

Re: Anyone want to talk about L1, 2 and 3 Electronics projects?

Post by Liam » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Hey mate, yeah thats no worries at all. Happy to help out. What's on your mind?
Liam Beale
(Moderator)
www.phoenix-tech.co.nz

SClark

Post by SClark » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Liam.
It's Stephen Clark from Kerikeri again.
I am really looking for some clarification or guidance on the L2 and L3 electronics achievement standards. This is in relation to complexity of subsystems required along with some info on where to get started with using EEPROM in projects.

I was intending to get onto PCB design this year but my students pace of work had other ideas. So at level 2 they have used a motor driver chip combined with a monostable timer (555), LED + protective resistor, transistor and Piezo sounder, a pair of LDRs to sense hits from another students system. This is combined with two micro:bits. One micro:bit is used as a controller to control the buggy via Bluetooth. They have to fire at the LDRs on the other buggy. When hit the hit is counted and on 3 hits the buggy freezes after playing a tune and doing a death spin.

As I said we were hoping to get onto PCB but its looking like breadboard will be as far as we get this year. Is this looking complex enough for level 2 without the PCB?

We have worked through H bridge theory and they were given the option to construct their own from transistors. They have at different levels calculated and selected capacitor and resistor values for the monostable timer. Dealt with switch debouncing in terms of the input to the LDRs. Also back emf earlier on.

What do you think?

Liam

Post by Liam » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:41 am

Hey Steven,

It looks really straight forwards :) In regards to complexity ("Advanced Techniques"), I would pick at least three of the requirements. It looks like you have:
1/ Embedded software; you have to program the BBC:MB
2/ Subsystem level design; the 555 timer as the blaster controlled by the BBC:MB
3/ remote control; between the two BBC:MB
4/ Analogue to digital conversion; to detect hits
Are you using speed control of the motors at all?

I think this is definitely complex enough - just make sure the testing procedures are up to scratch :)

Stay in touch mate!
L
Liam Beale
(Moderator)
www.phoenix-tech.co.nz

Emilekiz

Anyone want to talk about L1 2 and 3 Electronics projects

Post by Emilekiz » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks Kyle and Jack Gonna show my students tomorrow. My cnc class has to design a final year end project so these will be good ideas for them.